The [James Grant solo] show at the Renfew Ferry last year  was brilliant. It didnt look like I was going to make it, all the way up to walking through the door and paying for my ticket:
- I was supposed to be going with my wife, but she was recovering from having her tonsils removed, so I had to find someone else to go with.
- On the day I set off late, which was made worse by my mate not being ready when I picked him up.
- I drove like a lunatic all the way up the M6 and M54 and managed to book into our Travellodge at about 7.15pm.
- UNFORTUNATELY, when i looked on autoroute and the net to choose the hotel, I didn't realise that there were TWO Renfrew Ferries - the OLD one docked by the city centre, and the CURRENT one, still operating out by Glasgow airport. (our taxi driver took great delight in telling us this).
- As a result, we arrived at the show just before it started (who was the support act by the way?), pockets somewhat lighter from the excessive taxi journey, and without having visited a cash machine. Doubts were cast over the quantity of the night's beer money.
- Fortunately, after having a chat with the bloke on the door, he overcharged me on my credit card for the tickets and gave me an unofficial "cash back".
- From then on it was plain sailing (no pun intended). It was a lovely sunny evening with the sun streaming through the glass walls of the ferry, with some fantastic music from a brilliant artist that I had given up on ever seeing live again (last time was in '89).
I probably enjoyed it more for the "mad dash" nature of the day.
Click here to return to Love and Money In Real Life section.
Click here to return to Love and Money main menu.